If you read our first blog for the week, you know that our focus is on the new year, new you and new skin. Glowing skin, that is free of imperfections. I believe this to be a reachable goal for us all! Some of you might be thinking, yeah right, no way, this is not a goal that I can see happening with my skin. I feel your pain and understand your frustration. As I have mentioned before, I struggled with believing clear skin would ever be possible for myself. What I have realized through the years, is that the best thing to have in your regimen is the appropriate cleanser. As an Esthetician, I have noticed that most people start off dry because they have used a cleanser that is just too stripping for their skin, leaving it void of healthy moisture balance and protection, right off the bat. Skin that is too dry, or alkaline can also be more susceptible to acne because a certain level of acidity is needed to inhibit bacterial growth on the skin.
As we age, our skin becomes more acidic in response to our lifestyle and our environment. Everything that our skin encounters such as, products, smoking, air, water, the sun, pollution all contribute to the breaking down of the acid mantle and the skin’s ability to protect itself. Which can lead to irritation, dryness, and acne. pH levels of products can either resolve or cause further distress to our skin. This is a big reason why mainstream products just don’t work for most. These products strip the oil out of our skin, leaving our largest organ trying to repair itself by replacing the oil stripped away. This leaves us in a constant cycle of being tight and dry followed by congested pores. Each time we strip the oil away, our skin over-compensates for the lack of moisture by creating more oil.
This brings me to why the oil cleansing method has helped so many people discover their true skin. The skin that they were always meant to have! Oil cleansing, I get it, it sounds a little strange, odd, dirty even? Believe me, if someone would have recommended this to me, say 15 years ago, I would have thought it was the craziest thing that I had ever heard. But, I am going to share with you a mind blowing little fact, that changed my mind on skin care products and ingredients forever. It is important that you keep in mind-- oil dissolves oil. Water doesn’t dissolve oil. Think about it! Our skin naturally lubricates itself with oil. Oil, alone, will not bring you blemishes! Our skin reflects what is going on inside our bodies. Hormones play a huge role in our skin. Along with, stress, sleeping habits, and our diets. Our skin is typically trying to tell us something. It’s time that we listen! Learning to work with your skin, not against it, will save you time and money.
The concept of the Oil Cleansing Method is that the oil used to massage your skin, will not only remove your makeup, but it will also dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and lodged itself inside your pores. Then the steam (hot washcloth) will open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed. I can only speak for myself when I say, it is amazing and my skin continues to thank me! There are several oil cleansing recipes out there. At White & Elm, our Founder and Formulator created a handful herself, until she came up with the perfect formulation. Our Deep Pore Cleansing Oil contains 8 organic oils.
- Sunflower Oil contains high amounts of linolenic acid that is part of the Omega 6 family. It assists in wound healing and dry skin.
- Castor Oil is also referred to as, the oil that heals. Its properties can dive deep into the pores allowing it to draw the dirt and grime to the surface of your skin where it can be wiped away.
- Hemp Seed Oil is a powerhouse of skin nutrition, and because Hemp Seed Oil is nearly identical to our lipids, it is capable of penetrating deeply into the skin without clogging pores.
- Neroli Oil, aside from the anti-microbial properties, neroli also has anti-aging effects. It can soften the appearance of wrinkles and scars.
- Avocado Oil, with its high content of Vitamin E, helps to heal and protect skin aiding in overall skin health. Vitamin E also pushes oxygen into the pores, where acne bacteria cannot live in the presence of oxygen.
- Finally, we use Chamomile and Lavender, both pure distilled essential oils. They both have amazing antibacterial and antifungal properties as well as calming effects. They help the skin retain moisture and prevents skin dryness and scaling.
How to use:
Oil Cleansing is typically done in the evening, prior to bed. There shouldn’t be a need for deep cleansing in the morning if you are oil cleansing the night before. In the morning, a quick wipe with a warm washcloth should suffice. Or a splash or two of warm water works well too. We don't want to over cleanse our skin as this will only irritate and cause more oil production. The objective of using this cleansing method is to deep clean while balancing our skins oil production at the same time.
- You'll need a soft washcloth, White & Elm Deep Pore Cleansing Oil, and hot water. This method can even be done in the shower.
- Pour a generous amount of oil into the palm of your hand. Roughly, the size of a quarter or 4-5 pumps. Rub your hands together to warm the oil and smooth it over your face.
- Begin massaging the oil into your face. This will remove sunscreen, makeup, dirt, and other impurities, so there is no need to use a makeup remover or wash your face prior to the massage.
- Massage the oil deeply into your pores. Using slow, firm, small circular motions, starting centrally at your chin and working outwards and upwards toward your hairline. Take your time and focus on your problem areas. You want the oil to work into your pores so that blackheads and impurities can be dissolved and steamed away.
- Once you're satisfied that your pores are saturated, pick up your washcloth and soak it in clean, steamy water. We want the water to be warm enough to soften your pores and remove the oil. Cool water will not soften your pores, and it will not remove the oil efficiently. Not too hot either, we're not trying to burn our skin; we're steaming to get our pores clear of dirt, oil, and the impurities.
- Hold the washcloth to cover your face. Allow it to stay until it cools. Wipe the oil gently away and rinse the washcloth well in hot, running water. Hold the washcloth to your face again, allowing it to cool. Wipe gently, rinse well and repeat two or three more times.
What to expect:
- I would like you to keep in mind when starting a new skin care regimen, that the skin can have some sort of purging result when switching products. Particularly if the product is genuinely helping to balance and detox the skin, however, this is usually a process that begins to balance out after 2-3 weeks, give or a take. Continue to use the Oil Cleansing Method until your skin has balanced out.
- We recommend exfoliating with a gentle exfoliator 3-4 times a week. Keeping in mind that the skin completely replaces itself every 27 days.
- While we are clarifying our skin externally, we must think about the internal aspect. DRINK WATER, WATER, and more WATER. Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, helping your skin to push the toxins out.
- Lastly, you will still want to follow up your cleansing routine with toning and moisturizing. Toning assists in closing your pores. An important step of your skin care regimen, especially after steaming. Toner acts as a vehicle to prime the skin for product penetration so you get twice the impact from all products you apply after. It is really the best way to up the ante in your skin routine.
Whew… now, that was a lot of information! I thank you for reading until the end and encourage you to give oil cleansing a try! We are here to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Remember, clear, glowing skin is a reachable goal. We want 2017 to be your skin's best year yet! Please stay tuned for our next blog… we will be recommending other beneficial products that you can incorporate into your White & Elm skin care regimen.
Thank you for your continued support!
White & Elm